Pastry almond puffs
Prep time: Cook time: Total time:
- 2 cups milk
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 egg yolks
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 5 eggs (room temperature)
- Bring to a boil milk, cream and vanilla extract
- In a separate bowl, whisk together egg yolks and sugar until it because light yellow.
- Add your flour and cornstarch. Whisk until well combined.
- Pour 1/4 of the hot milk through a strainer into your eggs mixture. Wisk until no more lumps. Then, pour the rest of your hot milk and whisk again until well combined.
- Bring your egg mixture back to the stove and continuously whisk until it because thick. (Almost like pudding)
- Transfert your mixture into a medium size bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and chill for at least 2 hours before using in the refrigerator.
- Preheat your oven at 350' F
- Choux puff pastry
- Bring to boil milk, water, butter, salt and sugar in a medium size saucepan.
- Add, flour and whisk. Continuously stir over heat with a spatula and cook for about 1-2 minutes.
- Once your mixture looks like dough, transfert it to your electric mixer and mix on low until it cools a bit.
- Add one egg at the time and beat until it becomes smooth. (at first your dough will not come together but continu beating until it becomes smooth)
- Transfert your dough into a piping bag . Pipe rings/wreath shapes into desire size onto a cookie sheets lined with parchment paper (take note that they will enlarge once baked).
- Top with almonds
- Bake 30-40 minutes or until they are golden brown. Transfert them onto a cooling rack.
- Cut them in half
- Fill them with pastry cream
- Sprinkle with icing sugar